Since 2018, we have offered at least 4,400 pharmacy products for free for patients aged 24 and below. What we only need is an Ontario Health Card Number and a doctor’s prescription.
Who is covered?
What is covered?
OHIP+ completely covers the cost of more than 4,400 drug products that are currently available through the Ontario Drug Benefit program, including:
- antibiotics to treat infections
- inhalers for asthma
- various insulins, oral diabetic medications, and diabetes test strips
- epinephrine auto-injectors (e.g., EPIPENs®)
- drugs to treat arthritis, epilepsy, and other chronic conditions
- medications to treat mental health conditions (e.g., antidepressants)
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) drugs
- drugs to treat some childhood cancers and other rare conditions
- help to quit smoking:
- up to a year of pharmacist-assisted counseling (talk to your pharmacist or healthcare provider)
- drugs (Champix or Zyban) if you are aged 18 or older
Medications under the Exceptional Access Program may also be covered if a patient qualifies.
How to get your medication?
If you’re a parent or a direct beneficiary…
- See your doctor, nurse, or any other healthcare practitioner and get your prescription.
- Present your health card or health card number to our pharmacy.
- Then, we will fill your prescription at zero charges (no fee, deductible, nor co-payment).
How OHIP+ affect other coverage?
Other Insurance Plans
If you’re eligible for the program as of January 1, 2018, OHIP+ is the primary payer for your medications.
Trillium Drug Program
If you’re eligible for the program and a member of the Trillium Drug Program, OHIP+ will cover your medications. Because you’re not paying for your prescriptions out from your pocket, no amount will count as your deductible.
University/College Students Studying in Another Province
If you have to attend a university or college outside Ontario, OHIP+ can still cover your prescriptions as long as you:
- Remain insured by OHIP+
- Have a valid prescription from your doctor
- Get your medications within Ontario
REACH US OUT
If you wish to learn more about OHIP+, do not hesitate to leave us a message at your convenience.